Cookies on CAB eBooks

Like most websites we use cookies. This is to ensure that we give you the best experience possible.

 

Continuing to use www.cabi.org  means you agree to our use of cookies. If you would like to, you can learn more about the cookies we use.

CAB eBooks

Ebooks on agriculture and the applied life sciences from CAB International

CABI Book Chapter

Invasive alien plants: an ecological appraisal for the Indian subcontinent.

Book cover for Invasive alien plants: an ecological appraisal for the Indian subcontinent.

Description

This book consists of 24 chapters on invasive alien plants in India presented under the following headings: plant invasion in India (an overview); major invasive plants (part I); status, mapping and distribution (part II); environmental impact and risk assessment (part III); population dynamics and utilization (part IV); and management and legislation (part V). This book is the first in a series o...

Metrics

Chapter 6 (Page no: 77)

Predicting the geographical distribution of an invasive species (Chromolaena odorata L. (King) & H.E. Robins) in the Indian subcontinent under climate change scenarios.

This chapter describes the application of ecological niche modelling (ENM) in depicting the current and future geographical distribution of C. odorata based on its ecological niche using 458 records collected for native range distributions in North and South America. The predictive capacity of the niche model transferred to the Indian subcontinent was evaluated by assessing the probability level at which the model was successful in correctly predicting the current distributional range of the selected species. The model calibration test for C. odorata in its native range yielded good results. Among the input environmental parameters, the climatic variables were more sensitive and contributed 62% to the structure of the modelled ecological niche of the species compared with the physiographic variables, which contributed only 38%. The thermal variables, i.e. mean annual temperature (20.4%) and mean annual minimum temperature (29%), governed the macro-scale niche characteristic. The niche model showed that the response of the species peaked at a mean annual temperature range of 15-25°C, and there was a consistent increase in responsiveness with an increase in mean annual minimum temperature. The niche model generated using native range distribution predicted most of the validation points in the northern part of the Indian subcontinent at >70% probability. However, some locations in central and southern India were predicted at a probability level of <30%. The areas suitable for C. odorata include Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and West Bengal in the central Himalayas, and Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Mizoram, Manipur and Assam in the eastern Himalayas. The model also shows environmental suitability in Gujarat, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Orissa. Areas adjacent to the Indian sub-region showing high suitability for the species include Nepal, Myanmar and Pakistan. The Western and Eastern Ghats, the central Himalayan region, and the northeastern part of the Indian subcontinent are shown to be more susceptible to invasion by C. odorata under current climatic conditions and predicted future climate warming.

Other chapters from this book

Chapter: 1 (Page no: 1) Plant invasion in India: an overview. Author(s): Kohli, R. K. Batish, D. R. Singh, J. S. Singh, H. P. Bhatt, J. R.
Chapter: 2 (Page no: 10) Biology, ecology and spread of the invasive weed Parthenium hysterophorus in India. Author(s): Batish, D. R. Kohli, R. K. Singh, H. P. Kaur, G.
Chapter: 3 (Page no: 19) Invasive species: ecology and impact of Lantana camara invasions. Author(s): Sharma, G. P. Raghubanshi, A. S.
Chapter: 4 (Page no: 43) Biology of Chromolaena odorata, Ageratina adenophora and Ageratina riparia: a review. Author(s): Tripathi, R. S. Yadav, A. S. Kushwaha, S. P. S.
Chapter: 5 (Page no: 57) Ageratum conyzoides: an alien invasive weed in India. Author(s): Kaur, S. Batish, D. R. Kohli, R. K. Singh, H. P.
Chapter: 7 (Page no: 89) Impacts of cultivation of Kappaphycus alvarezii on coral reef environs of the Gulf of Mannar and Palk Bay, South-eastern India. Author(s): Patterson Edward, J. K. Bhatt, J. R.
Chapter: 8 (Page no: 99) Biology of Mikania micrantha H.B.K.: a review. Author(s): Tripathi, R. S. Khan, M. L. Yadav, A. S.
Chapter: 9 (Page no: 108) Anthemis cotula L.: a highly invasive species in the Kashmir Himalaya, India. Author(s): Reshi, Z. A. Shah, M. A. Rashid, I. Rasool, N.
Chapter: 10 (Page no: 126) A brief appraisal of genus Potamogeton L. in the Kashmir valley. Author(s): Ganie, A. H. Reshi, Z. A. Wafai, B. A.
Chapter: 11 (Page no: 131) Remote sensing of invasive alien plant species. Author(s): Kushwaha, S. P. S.
Chapter: 12 (Page no: 139) Invasive alien weeds of the Western Ghats: taxonomy and distribution. Author(s): Rao, R. R. Sagar, K.
Chapter: 13 (Page no: 162) Invasive alien plants in tropical forests of the South-eastern Ghats, India: ecology and management. Author(s): Parthasarathy, N. Pragasan, L. A. Muthumperumal, C.
Chapter: 14 (Page no: 174) Status of alien plant invasions in the North-eastern region of India. Author(s): Shankar, U. Yadav, A. S. Rai, J. P. N. Tripathi, R. S.
Chapter: 15 (Page no: 189) Invasive alien weeds in the tropics: the changing pattern in the herbaceous flora of Meghalaya in North-east India. Author(s): Rao, R. R. Kavitha Sagar
Chapter: 16 (Page no: 199) Invasion by alien macrophytes in freshwater ecosystems of India. Author(s): Shah, M. A. Reshi, Z. A.
Chapter: 17 (Page no: 216) Plant invasions in Jammu and Kashmir state, India. Author(s): Khuroo, A. A. Reshi, Z. A. Dar, G. H. Hamal, I. A.
Chapter: 18 (Page no: 227) Risk assessment for management of biological invasions. Author(s): Reshi, Z. A. Irfan Rashid
Chapter: 19 (Page no: 244) Economics of invasive alien species. Author(s): Vinish Kathuria Singh, S. P.
Chapter: 20 (Page no: 257) Population dynamics of invasive alien species of Eupatorium. Author(s): Tripathi, R. S. Yadav, A. S.
Chapter: 21 (Page no: 271) Resource utilization and beneficial aspects of invasive alien weeds with special reference to the Western Ghats, India. Author(s): Rao, R. R. Kavitha Sagar Sathyanarayana, N.
Chapter: 22 (Page no: 282) Lantana mulching for soil fertility improvement, soil and water conservation and crop yield enhancement in rainfed rice in the Kumaun hills. Author(s): Kumar, P. Pant, M. Negi, G. C. S.
Chapter: 23 (Page no: 292) Control of Lantana and restoration of biodiversity in reserve forests of Chandigarh: a case study. Author(s): Ishwar Singh
Chapter: 24 (Page no: 299) Woody, alien and invasive Prosopis juliflora (Swartz) D.C.: management dilemmas and regulatory issues in Gujarat. Author(s): Pandey, C. N. Pandey, R. Bhatt, J. R.

Chapter details

  • Author Affiliation
  • Centre for Advanced Studies in Botany, North-Eastern Hill University, Shillong - 793 002, India.
  • Year of Publication
  • 2012
  • ISBN
  • 9781845939076
  • Record Number
  • 20113382171